Latest Sightings App
Download it Now!
Birding Big Day hosted by BirdLife SA – Saturday 3 Dec 2022
Share your bird sightings for conservation from anywhere! Type Birding Big Day as the park name on the app.
About the App
Latest Sightings is an app platform that allows visitors who are currently on safari, be they rangers or tourists, to report the animals and events that they are seeing – live.
They report their location, time, and sighting to Latest Sightings, which in turn broadcasts these ‘tings’ (a reported sighting) to the smartphone app and other social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Instagram, YouTube etc…).
A ‘ting‘ is when a user uploads a sighting onto the app, WhatsApp group, Telegram, or any other social media platform.
This project meets many needs:
1. Enhances the safari experience by enabling visitors to go directly to interesting sightings. As well as plan ahead for future trips to the park. These wildlife sightings allow users to maximize and enhance their safari experience!
2. Allows users to share their exciting or unique sightings across our social media platforms. Videos that go viral have the potential to earn money submit your viral videos via our Film and Earn Program and you could earn money!
3. Adds valuable data for research projects, such as the Wild Dog Project, the Ground Hornbill project, the Leopard Identification project, Pangolin and Bat projects.
4. Positively contributes towards wildlife conservation: When a report of a snared animal or suspicious activity is received, authorities get reported to immediately. So far, Latest Sightings have saved rhinos (which we do not report seeing due to poaching), hyenas, wild dogs, and lions who have been injured by poachers.
5. Enables its users to join an avid wildlife-lover community and share their exciting sightings! Comment, like, and view wildlife videos on the app and share the sightings across various social media platforms.
Do you want to promote your safari company?
Get the guides/safari company booking button added to your sightings!
What do you need to do?
– Download the free Latest Sightings app.
– Create a profile with your company name and logo.
– Ting (report) the wildlife sightings you see. The more you ting the exposure you will receive!
What are the benefits?
– Every time you ting thousands of users will see your sightings. We have 1K-2K active users per day on the app.
– These users can then choose to book a safari with you by clicking on the button.
– Tinging incredible sightings allows you to promote yourself / company.
– If the videos you ting are unique or exciting we could share them on our social media platforms and you could earn money!
How to Navigate the App
1. Adding a ‘ting’
1. Click on the “+” button in the menu bar -> follow the steps on each page. Start by selecting the park you are in and adding any photos/videos, select the animal and the number. Continue to page 2 by clicking “next” -> select the action of the animal, how visible it was to you, and the amount of traffic. Continue to page 3 where you can enter more details about the sighting and the location. Lastly, press “Submit“!
If you have signal the post will upload automatically.
If you don’t have signal you will be taken to the home page where it will say “You have 1 pending ting/s ->
– Once you have signal go to the home page and click on the pending link at the top of the page and select “Try again”. Your ting will be uploaded!
2. Sightings Location Page
2. For each ting that is posted you can click on the like, and comment buttons. Or report the sighting if it is incorrect. By clicking on the “location” button the app will take you to the map page to give you a better indication of where the sighting is relative to you.
3. Park Filter Option
3. The white funnel button at the top right of the home page allows you to select the specific park you would like to see sightings from. For example, if you are in Masai Mara you can select that park and you will only see sightings from there.
4. Sightings Map
4. The map icon on the menu bar shows you a map of the world with all the tings from the last 24 hours. If you click on a pin it will give you more information about the location of the sighting.
5. Profile Page & Notifications
5. The profile button on the menu bar allows you to see all the tings you have personally uploaded over the years.
By selecting the “more” button you will see all the information about Latest Sightings and be able to reset your password. Select “Notification settings” to see which parks you are receiving alerts from. Turn on the parks you would like to receive sighting notifications and they will be green.
We are excited to see your tings!
If you are tinging from a park that is not on our app please Contact Us and we can add it for you!